Named "Eola" after the developer's daughter, the Eola Hotel opened on July 1, 1927. Local newspapers hailed the hotel as a symbol of civic progress.
Beginning in 1932, the Eola became headquarters for the annual Natchez Spring Pilgrimage. The hotel enjoyed years of prosperity and celebrity visits, but by the 1960s, was showing its age. It quietly closed in 1974. Then, in 1978, under new ownership, a major restoration project commenced.
Six and one half million dollars later, the landmark hotel reopened. Elaborate chandeliers, columns, arched doorways, marble trim, and the famed "Peacock Alley" were returned to their original splendor.
The hotel suffered a setback in 1998 when a tornado caused $30 million worth of damage to Natchez. The roof and most of the top floor of the Eola Hotel were torn off. Expertly restored, the hotel is grander than in its heyday.
Preservation efforts sensitive to the original architecture earned the Eola Hotel membership in the National Register of Historic Places.
The premier historic hotel property in Natchez, Mississippi, the Eola once again is command center to the annual antebellum home pilgrimages.
The tallest building in downtown Natchez, MS, the seven-story Eola overlooks the city from the corner of Main and Pearl Streets. Just two blocks from the Mississippi River, and one block from the city's new convention center, the Eola Hotel is within easy walking distance of most of the city's attractions, restaurants, and nightlife.